Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Saturday 7 June 2014

London Food Markets #3 - Brockley Market, Lewisham

Last Saturday my exploration of London food markets reached Brockley Market.


First impressions were good. As Brockley Market is less well known than its larger, more popular cousins Real Food Festival (Southbank) and Borough, you immediately get a far quieter, more relaxed experience. It's far easier to visit each stall one by one, eyeing up the wares and making a proper decision regarding the day's lunch option. Happily, no feet were stomped on and no ankles were injured by push chairs. Brockley Market is a far more family friendly, civilised affair.



Brockley Market is a small market which can be found in Lewisham, SE London. The stalls sell a real selection of goods including fresh, locally sourced fruit and vegetables, award-winning coffee, artisan bread and charcuterie.















Ever since I returned from Spain last week, I've been craving a burger, so for me, lunch had to be a Mother Flipper burger...




And boy, was I in for a treat.

I'm still trying to eat my way around every burger in London (I'm sadly failing at it), but until now, Honest Burger has been my stand out favourite. No more, Mother Flipper burger trumped it big time. 

I chose the bacon candy version which was pure heaven. A juicy medium rare pattie was sandwiched between the usual: lettuce, mustard, ketchup, gherkins but the maple syrup bacon added that extra special touch. I can't really explain in words why it was so amazing. You just need to visit their burger van at Brockley Market one Saturday morning to see for yourself.


After the burger induced slump, it was time for a caffeine pick me up. An iced coffee was the order of the day.



asleep
awake!

As I was leaving the market, I spotted this fantastic mini-library in a what must be the world's best kept telephone box, complete with the a selection of best sellers and a spotlessly clean carpet. The idea is that when you take a book, you have to replace it with another book. I love initiatives like this which are so well supported by the local community. No dodgy smells, or adverts that usually greet you when you enter a phone box; just a cute place to pick up a bit of light reading.





I was so happy to see one of my all time favourite books of all time on offer: the Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.


Brockley Market is so worth a visit. For me, it beats the likes of Borough Market and the Real Food Festival. I love its local charm, and how laid back and un-busy it is - the perfect place to spend a few hours on a Saturday morning.

Brockley Market is open on Saturdays 10am - 2pm. It can be found at Lewisham College Car park. Follow @BrockleyMarket


No comments:

Post a Comment