Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Thursday 13 March 2014

A Restaurant worth waiting for...Mildred's, Soho

There's lots of reasons why I like my friend Frankie, our shared love of yoga and JC (Jonathan Creek) to name a few, but it's her expert knowledge of London restaurants that really puts her high on my friend list.

When we met up a few Saturday's ago, she suggested Mildred's, pre warning me that it might be bit busy. That was a bit of an understatement. It was literally bursting at the seams. I really hate queuing for ages, so we decided to abandon Mildred's for rose lychee Martinis at Ping Pong instead.

However, my curiosity had been stirred and I always knew that I would one day return to Mildred's to see what all the fuss was about.

Fast forward to yesterday, where by some good fortune,  I ended up going on a year 8 matinee trip to Wicked at the West End. As much as I love teaching my year 11s, this was definitely an excellent alternative.



After Wicked, I declined a trip back to school on the coach and took the opportunity to meet M in central for some food. It's ridiculous how long it takes to fill three coaches with 150 year 8s but I eventually left and, after looking at my watch,  realised it was 6pm. In other words, the perfect time to try my luck again at Mildred's.

Expecting it to be empty, I was amazed to find it practically full! However, they soon accommodated us on a cosy table for 2 sandwiched between everyone else.

Keen to see what all the fuss was about we quickly ordered.

Our starters of maple syrup fig salad:


and artichoke crostini


Followed by M's insane mushroom ale pie (I don't even like mushrooms but this was epic) 
and my risotto cake. This was basically mozzarella and sun dried tomato arancini served with wilted spinach and an intensely creamy mustard sauce.  



Needless to say the food was amazing. People who say they don't like vegetarian food categorically cannot say that unless they've tried Mildred's. Mildred's could convert the staunchest meat eater. Personally, as someone who eats meat, I still love eating vegetarian and vegan food which I find to be generally much fresher, healthier, and beautifully colourful.

We finished with raspberry yoghurt ice cream which, of course, was delicious. Priced at around £9 per main, we also found Mildred's good value, although it's not the kind of place you spend hours chatting away. It's far too loud and busy for that.


I seriously can't wait for a return visit to sample all the other dishes. It was impossible to pick from the menu and you can just tell that all the dishes are expertly thought-out and executed - there are no dud menu fillers at Midred's. If you go, make sure you pick off peak times; it was rammed when we left around 7pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment