Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Best Carrot Cake Recipe

I do not tell a lie. This really is the BEST carrot cake recipe I've ever come across. I was never a huge carrot cake fan, but it's M's favourite cake and now I'm a total convert. I love the texture and slight spice the cinnamon conveys, and coupled with the zingy cream cheese icing, it's a total winner.

This recipe was lent to me by my chinese friend, Yeewen. Her mum emailed it across especially for our baking afternoon. I've had to convert all the american measurements to english ones, but having tested the recipe, I have to admit that it's extremely good. I don't like adding nuts and sultanas etc to carrot cake, in my opinion carrot cakes should be pure, unadulterated carrot. You will need a 25cm spring form cake tin or a brownie square tin.



Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius

For the cake:
240g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 large carrots grated, coarsely
120g light brown sugar
60g caster sugar
120ml sunflower oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the icing:
150g soft cheese
2 tbsp softened butter
Juice of 2 lemons
300g icing sugar, sieved

Method:
1. Beat the eggs and sugars togethers.
2. Using a wooden spoon, add the flour alternatively with the oil to the egg mixture.
3. Add the carrot and vanilla essence, and stir to combine.
4. Pour this runny mixture into a greased baking tin.


5. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.



For the icing, simply combine all of the ingredients.


No comments:

Post a Comment