Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Healthy snacking: spicy chickpea crisps

On Saturday, I randomly decided to soak a load of dried chickpeas. A day later they were well and truly swollen but I was left with the minor dilemma of what to do with them. I didn't want to make a standard hummus (as delicious as that would have been, plus I didn't have any tahini). Instead, I trawled the Internet and stumbled across this recipe. 


In the comments below the recipe it seemed that some people had struggled with getting their chick peas nice and crisp. I decided to follow someone's recommendation of double baking them. The result? Beautifully crisp and tasty. The perfect snack, particularly as chickpeas are chock full of protein and low in fat. I stupidly ate a whole load of them on Sunday in the car on the way to my friend Carmela's for lunch and arrived feeling far too full for the huge spread on offer. I must write a post on that lunch soon; it was incredible. Happily I managed to eat everything on offer despite the chickpea binge en-route! 

Anyway back to the chickpeas. Personally, I prefer to use dried chickpeas that I've soaked as I think they result in a better crunch.

You will need:

200g dried chickpeas (soak in a large bowl of water over night, drain, rinse with clean water and dry completely)
2 tsp extra Virgin olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Maldon sea salt

  • Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Cover your chickpeas in the other ingredients and mix thoroughly to ensure they have an even coating. Place on an oven proof tray covered in baking parchment.
  • Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Bake for a further 20 minutes until crisp.


What's your favourite crisps substitute or healthy snack? 

PS Yay for posting on a school night - things are looking up!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely need to make these! I love chickpeas and I love anything spicy. :D

    ReplyDelete