Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Pancake Day


Having spoken to lots of people about this, I finally realise that my idea of pancake day is slightly odd. During my childhood, every single pancake day would be spent with my grandma eating loads of pancakes. No dinner, just pancakes. This was such a favourite that we'd have a 'pancake day' about 5 times a year. I remember one appalling year when I didn't get to spend shrove tuesday with her and I had to eat a dinner beforehand. I could only manage one pancake. Seriously sad times. My boyfriend and everyone else i've spoken to disagree and say that eating dinner followed by a pudding of pancakes is far more normal. Well, since I was in charge of dinner last night, I just made pancakes, loads of them. About 20 and it was greeeeeeat.

I'm also incredibly boring, I only ever have lemon and caster sugar on my pancakes. I've tried ice cream, nutella, golden syrup, fruit and cream, but no. It's all about the lemon and sugar. I've always used this Delia Smith recipe. It works every time. Thanks Delia.

Makes approximately 8 (depending on the size of your pan and your preferred thickness of pancake)

Pancakes:
110g plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
2 large eggs
200ml milk
75ml water
50g butter

To serve:
2 fresh lemons, halved
caster sugar

1. Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the flour. Crack the eggs into the well.
2. Using a balloon whisk or a fork (you really don't need to use an electric mixer) start to gradually combine the flour and eggs.
3. Then gradually add the milk and water, very slowly, whisking continuously. Carry on mixing until the mixture is well incorporated.
4. Melt the butter and allow to cool slightly before adding to the rest of the pancake mixture. Stir to combine.
5. To cook, heat a little oil in a medium sized frying pan over a medium heat and add around 3 tbsp of batter, depending on your preferred thickness. I like mine very thin. Fry each pancake for a couple of minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment